Because in the homeless population, in national studies of homelessness:
- 16% are senior citizens, many who are handicapped.
- 40% of people who are homeless are disabled.
- 25% suffer severe mental illness.
- 65% experienced abuse as children or had been neglected or emotionally abused.
- 40% of homeless youth identify are LGBTQ and need our protection.
- the number of people who are particularly vulnerable to abuse on the streets, transgendered, increased by 18%.
- Because Lowell Transitional Living Center is a safe haven for all.
- Because everyone is somebody’s someone.
- Because we have the power to protect, shelter, support and raise up our neighbors in need.
(www.hudexchange.info, http://nationalhomeless.org/issues/lgbt, www.nhchc.org)
>> Saturday, May 12th will mark the seventh annual walk, featuring a 5K stroll through the beautiful tree lined, cobblestone streets of Lowell and an ice cream social on the 5th floor of Mill No. 5. The walk starts and ends right outside Mill No. 5 on 250 Jackson Street.
Businesses, community groups, faith-based organizations, citizens and friends of LTLC come together at Steps to Home to raise funds for LTLC’s largest event of the year. Lowell Transitional Living Center offers much more than meals and a place to sleep. The walk will help raise awareness of their programs and services like healthcare, housing, mental wellness, and financial management.
We CAN all make a difference for someone experiencing homelessness in the Merrimack Valley.
Walkers will begin registration at 10:00AM, and head out at 10:30AM from the entrance to Mill No. 5. At the finish line all walkers will head up to the 5th floor of the mill for ice cream and a raffle. A fun journey up Mill No. 5’s funky staircase and two available elevators will transport walkers to the ice cream and raffle portion of the event. Event organizers encourage individuals and teams to register for the event in advance.
INCENTIVES: The Team Captain who raises the most money will win 2 Red Sox tickets (near home plate!) AND so will the Captain with the MOST REGISTERED WALKERS (could be the same person).
Contact LTLC to receive more information:
LTLC Development Assistant
978-458-9888 ext. 20 or firstname.lastname@example.org