Because in the homeless population, in national studies of homelessness:
- 16% are senior citizens, many who are handicapped.
- 40% of people who are homeless are disabled.
- 25% suffer severe mental illness.
- 65% experienced abuse as children or had been neglected or emotionally abused.
- 40% of homeless youth identify are LGBTQ and need our protection.
- the number of people who are particularly vulnerable to abuse on the streets, transgendered, increased by 18%.
- Because Lowell Transitional Living Center is a safe haven for all.
- Because everyone is somebody’s someone.
Because we have the power to protect, shelter, support and raise up our neighbors in need.
(www.hudexchange.info, http://nationalhomeless.org/issues/lgbt, www.nhchc.org)